Tuesday, May 27, 2008
















Okay I finally got this thing to put a picture up. These are the farm and the fresh pasta we made with Jen's kid Rafael (and Leslie), some cuddling goats and heirloom beans and cowpeas. I can't remember what we've done since I last wrote but some of the things are broadcasting millet, seeding black garbanzos and heirloom beans. Oh yeah, husking corn with this really nice corn husker - beautiful green corn - threshing beans, lots of hoeing. The corn and beans, millet and buckwheat that we seeded last week are up and really nice and we're going to take out the horse cultivator this week hopefully though it's been raining for a few days. What do you think over there, do you think people in the Toronto area would be interested in a grain CSA? Jeff and I are really into it the grain and legumes thing, we would really like to do it and it's pretty low overhead. But do you think that people would be interested in fresh milled flours, dry beans, lentils, chickpeas and cool whole grains?? Grains are so neat because of how nutritious they are and we don't really think about how many of them are obselete now that wheat has taken over. Anyway, my hands just stopped working so my grain nutrition sermon is being aborted. Just look at the pictures...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous pictures. And so pasta really does grow on trees??

Noah said...

Grain CSA??

If you keep up with your panel discussions, whats selling big are Cocoa Caminos and Kettle Chips.


Seriously though, I think thats a great idea.

Ali said...

Beautiful pictures Leslie. You know you can sell pics online? I think you should do it. Do it! Making pasta and planting all sorts of colourful beans. You must be in heaven! I was thinking about you both today, up in my little 360square foot garden (it is crazy the different kinds of ways people garden), where I planted a 9-foot row of chickpeas. I wonder if they'll grow?

Unknown said...

I am so happy for Leslie and Jeff to have found this very wonderful farm. The grain CSA will be in huge demand in Toronto because the foods sound delicous, and healthy and will be accompanied with lovely pictures evoking a different era that many of us long for. Are there other colours of garbanzos along with the black. I saw that quinoa from Bolivia was sold in white, red and black. When will the next grain nutrition sermon be held? with love from the folks in Toronto. see you soon.

Unknown said...

I like your pics Lesliebird! Hope you guys are havin fun. Everyone here is good. Both childs are soccer stars. Call us, we are your family! Big Brother Steven

Jon B said...

Nice pictures! I'm glad you found your way off the interstate. With grain prices going the way they are, I think your CSA would be a hit. I'm particularly looking forward to Jeff's Teff!

Jon

Allyson said...

Hi Leslie,

Those goats are so cute. You know you can get green manufactured homes. They are beautiful but you never see them on the freeway. I think they are flat-packed like Ikea.

We got tickets to the Antiques Roadshow, yippee! We will be in Palm Springs and maybe LA for the weekend starting 6/6/2008.

aislinn thomas said...

I don't pretend to be representative of the general population, but my reaction to the grain/legume CSA was something like, "YES!" or "hell ya!"

Aaron (sp?) Huges has been selling beans at the market (turtle beans, money beans, and red kidneys) and over the past few months I think has totally sold out. I think that there's broader appeal than one might expect...

Also, I've been running into so many people (myself included) who are having serious problems with wheat...it would be great to have some local alternatives.